Sunday 15 February 2015

Art / Ian Fairweather and Lost Men, Hermit Painters. Part I

A moment for possibly my all time favourite painter, Ian Fairweather.

I, since a child, have always been mesmerised by the kind of post-war painter that lived as a hermit after the war.  Not quite able or not quite willing to fit back into society and so would paint off somewhere by themselves. 

I don't know what it was but I identified I suppose with a restless desire to be alone, to peacefully work. I would dream of of being a nomad. Alone. In the hills. By myself. 



Ian Fairweather was born in 1891 in Bridge of Allen, Stirlingshire, Scotland where he was raised by his great-aunt after his parents returned to India. He originally attended officer training school but changed to studying art after fighting the in the First World War. He studied at the The Hague Academy, The School of Oriental Studies and The Slade School of Fine Art.

In the following years he lived throughout Australia, China, Bali, Canada, Singapore and the Philippines.  He spent a considerable amount of time in Australia and is considered by many as an Australian painter.

When the Second World War came he fought again with the British Army in India from 1941-1943.

In the 1950s he built a hut on Bribie Island where he lived for the rest of his life except for occasional visits to London and India in the 1960s.

He died on the 20th of May 1974.






I do not own or have the rights to any images, paintings or words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment